Mount Calvary History
The Historic Mount Calvary Baptist Church
of Lexington, KY
Our forefathers came up the road from the 2nd Independent Baptist Church of Athens. Believing the Lord will make a way somehow on their hearts and minds, they traveled by horse and wagon to Pricetown to build Mt. Calvary Baptist Church. God gave them a vision and a dream of a church in their community. Guided by the Holy Spirit, with determination in their hearts, the church down the lane was built.
Their leader and first pastor was a family member. Rev. Matthew Garner, who was affectionately known as “Uncle Matthias,” was a carpenter by trade and led the building process. Meetings were held in home and an old school building until the church was completed. Basket meeting were held on the church grounds to lift the name of the Lord in Thanksgiving and praise.
Rev. Garner was called home in 1912 after serving 31 years. Rev. B.S. Rawlings was called to the Mt. Calvary pastoral ministry and served for 9 months.
Rev. William Alexander was called to lead the flock at Mt. Calvary in 1914. He faithfully served for 10 years. Our beloved Aunt Sue Fuller was baptized during his pastorate. She provided a wealth of knowledge and wisdom.
Rev. R.M. Thomas was called to serve Mt. Calvary in 1924 and served for 24 years. During his capable pastorate the church added the choir room and the pastor’s study.
His ministry was cut short due to failing health and he entered retirement in 1948. He led many believers to Christ some of whom remain in the Mt. Calvary church. He entered the Rest of the Lord on February 17, 1949.
On October 3, 1965, The Mt. Calvary Church burned to the ground. With tears in our eyes and God on our side the vision to rebuild the church was born. In the Spring of 1966 ground was broken for the new building. Bro Leonard Woods was part of the team working on the concrete work. The church building, we currently worship in was completed in November 1966
Rev. Riley Clay Porter was called to the Mt. Calvary Church in 1948. Under his leadership Mt. Calvary became the first rural church to have worship services every Sunday.
Also, during his tenure as pastor, a building fund was established in September 1965. Mt. Calvary was blessed to purchase its present land site from the late Deacon James R White, Sr. and Brother Henry Merchant.
Rev. Porter retired in May 1975 after serving for 27 years. Many saints currently members at Mt. Calvary came to Christ through Rev. Porter’s ministry. He went to be with the Lord in Glory on September 17, 1981. Following Rev. Porter, the Rev. Walter B. Taylor, Jr. served the Mt. Calvary Church as its interim pastor for one year.
Rev. Charles A Black was called to the Mt. Calvary Church in May 1974 and served until March 1979. Under his pastorate, the church burned the mortgage, launched its bus ministry, and updated the church by padding the pews. The church steeple and the organ were added through a gracious contribution on behalf of our cherished member, the Late Sis Elizabeth Ballard.
Rev. Dr. Felix G. Williams, III was called to serve as the Seventh (7th) pastor of Mt. Calvary Missionary Baptist Church in December 1979. Installed on February 17, 1980, he holds the singular distinction of being the longest serving pastor in the 139 year history of Mt. Calvary Church.
He has led the church to grow spiritually, numerically, and financially through his divinely inspired leadership. The members and friends of Mt. Calvary than our Father and God for Pastor and First Lady Williams and their family.
Under Pastor Williams’ leadership the church has cast a new vision for new worship center and new property located at 4521 Todds Road has been purchased and paid for in full. As we move forward, Dr. Williams is concentrating of the construction of a larger facility to serve more, reach more, develop more and do more for our Lord and Savior Jesus, The Christ.
We have been blessed with the most powerful and dynamic sons to come forth and preach the gospel. Throughout our 140 years, Mt. Calvary has been blessed with spiritually minded officers and committed members providing love and fellowship to our leader. As we take a moment to reflect on how far we have come, we recognize that it could only be the might power of God who has brought a mighty, mighty long way.